May 4, 2009

{BoSTon iN tHe SpriNgTimE}

John & I spent a few days in Boston.  He had meetings there, and I tagged along.  My niece, Liz, her husband Parker, and their 3 children held things together at home.  We had so much fun.  Actually, it was a perfect vacation.  During the day, I wandered about taking pictures and shopping, and at night he met me for long dinners and sightseeing.  


IMG_7483

IMG_7512
Make way for ducklings!

IMG_7473
General Washington and his handsome steed

IMG_7479

IMG_7469

IMG_7493

IMG_7503
I LOVED the window boxes!  
I told John that I cannot WAIT to get my garden "Boston-ized"

IMG_7521

The brownstones really capture my heart. 
They remind me of Wendy, John, and Michael Darling's London home
 in  Disney's "Peter Pan". 

IMG_7472

IMG_7508

This crazy bus could be heard for blocks.  A bus for dogs!  They are picked up, taken to Doggie Day Care, then dropped off at home in the evening.  
Can you imagine?!

IMG_7467

IMG_7563

This handsome fellow doesn't need a steed to get my attention! ;)

IMG_7506

IMG_7462
This idea was everywhere!  In pots and even in window boxes. 
Pussy willows surrounded by pansies.  
So charming and simple!

IMG_7464

(If you'd like to have an urn like this one, look here)

IMG_7519

IMG_7499

Fare thee well, Boston!  I love you!  (And I promise to come back soon!)
The day after we came home, Tucker (our dog) fell very ill--- throwing up and worse.  He is 12 years old;  almost deaf and blind. It has been a rough few days.  I have been either taking him to the vet, medicating him, cleaning myself off after medicating him, feeding him special "digestive-friendly-$2.00-a-can-dog-food", mopping the floor, or spot-treating the carpet!  Suddenly, that "Doggie Day Care" establishment doesn't seem so crazy.  But I am not ready to make any other decisions about him.  We love him so much, and we've had so much loss.  I just cannot face it yet.  Libby did so well while we were gone.  I think we've hit a real turning point... she is more able to be away from me without anxiety.   And she played SO well with her 2nd cousins! Tomorrow is her violin recital, and she is playing a solo.  She does NOT like performing in front of strangers, but I think we might just have her prepared--- even excited--- to play the little song that she has worked so hard on for the last 9 months.  Wish us luck!

13 comments:

Dawn said...

What GORGEOUS pictures....You just gave me ideas for my planter boxes on the front of my house (complete shade)...so the ivy/hydrangeas will be perfect...and I love putting branches in my urns too...the height makes them so graceful...I LOVE the pussywillow idea...so glad you had a wonderful time. I am so sorry about your sweet dog...I pray for all your hearts right now~

Keri said...

I haven't been to Boston since I was in high school, but I remember that church door.
I hope you are going to post a video of Libby's solo!

Keri

Jboo said...

Erin -- what a perfect little vacation for you and and hubs! Have never been to Boston, but putting it on my list! You have such a great eye! Love their window boxes and urn planters!

Best of luck to Libby on her violin recital -- so exciting. Can't wait to hear all about it.

Janet

laurel said...

What a perfect vacation! Oh, I am so jealous. To be alone....

The pictures are stunning you are amazing. I hope things go well with your dog. Isn't it amazing how much a pet can claim a family's heart?

Thanks for being so wonderful to us. You are a great support.

Anonymous said...

Your trip to Boston sounds wonderful! I love window boxes as well and flowers everywhere:) Glad Libby did so well while you were gone. Good luck with your violin solo, Libby. Sorry about your dog. We had to have our's put to sleep three years ago and Bret still misses her.

Circe said...

Your pictures are fabulous! If you haven't read Marley and Me, I think you would love it. Your dog situation reminded me. Good luck in the recital! Is it Tocca Tocca? Xanthe is taking a break from violin because Mom can't handle it! :) Thanks for your comment on my blog. I love your insight and willingness to share.

alison said...

Fabulous Pictures! Now I feel like I went on my own mini vacation looking at all your beautiful pics:)

I know how it is to have a pet you love. I hope everything works out well for Tucker and the family.

Love you guys.

Kim said...

Oh Erin, I'm so glad you were able to get away with your husband! What makes it even sweeter is hearing how well Libby did! Sorry to hear about your dog, hope the days ahead are better. Please post about Libby's recital. I've been wondering how she was doing with it.

paige said...

oh erin...your comment touched my heart-i'm so glad i get to meet you!
what a testimony you have...i am so so sorry for the loss of your james. he & libby with the same birthday, what a bittersweet day.
thank you for sharing your heart. i just read several of your posts & feel like i know you already.

your libby is so precious. i love her 'lori' dress. what a doll baby!
blessings to you

oh & ps--what amazing shots of boston. when my husband was very ill, just days before he passed , spoke of wanting to take me to boston. i think if i ever get there what a tearful mess i'll be

xo

Deb said...

Thanks for sharing the amazing photos. You have a beautiful eye for photography. It's just another nitche' you have. You are terrific! Best of luck for Tucker!

Lisa and Tate said...

How how I LOVE Boston... anytime of the year is FANASTIC!!! Love the spring flowers, cobblestone, buildings, Art Museum, culture, history.... EVERYTHING!!!

So sorry for Tucker not feeling well. Pups are such an important part of our families.... Huge hugs.

Eloise said...

What wonderful pictures! You have a great eye. I love the ones of the cobblestone streets. We are going to Boston next Spring for Robert to run the Boston Marathon. I'm looking forward to it, especially after seeing your pics!

So glad the children fared well in your absence. I'm sorry about Tucker. Sounds like you're giving him wonderful care.

Hope you'll share pictures of your "Bostonized" garden!

3 Peanuts said...

Beautiful Photos Erin! I LOVE the fence one!!!! Glad you had a good time:)