January 29, 2008

{JuNe 12, 2oo6: ThE SaDDeSt DaY}


James+with+friends


I am not able to tell the story of the day that our James died. It is worse than death to learn that your child has left you...bound for heaven. My handsome, funny, smart, kind, loving, fearless son. The pain we felt was so intense, John & I later confided to each other, that we had believed, that dark night, we would die ourselves. That our hearts just could not possibly keep beating. I don't know how to describe it. I cannot even begin. I can only tell the story of his life. His beautiful life.
He was so fun (and so challenging) to parent! As his Mother I had to dig deep inside myself for the stamina and wisdom to keep up with him. He was it seemed, always one step ahead of me.
He was the most curious child I have ever known. He read "The American Boy's Handy Book"... a book about making canoes, catching wild animals, whittling, & such, so many times that it was tattered. He filled little notebooks with drawings of forts, bridges, tunnels. He was always outside. He was a dreamer. A planner. A man's man.
James had a wry wit. He shot off one liners at will. He could make anyone and everyone laugh. At about 14, he was sarcastic. But eventually, as he matured, he was truly funny. He had a quiet way about him, a confidence that drew people. His smile was genuine and easy.
He could be obstinate. Exasperating, even. When he folded his arms across his chest, John & I knew we were in for a battle.
He loved his family fiercely. He defended his brothers at any cost. He looked up to his older brother with such adoration, wanting to be just like him. His younger brothers, he looked out for... always protective. He could hardly believe his luck at having a sister. He loved that she was born in China. That she shared his birthday. He could hardly take his eyes off her. He identified so strongly with John. James trusted John implicitly. Would have followed him anyplace. He adored each of his grandparents. Loved to be with them. His cousins too, & aunts and uncles. His uncles are athletic and successful. His aunts, great cooks and very nurturing. He admired them all. He loved family gatherings. The food. The stories. The laughter.
James was a friend for all seasons. He had countless friends. To those who didn't know him, I can say with certainty, "You would have loved him"...because everyone did. Eric was like a brother to him. He thought of all of his friends this way. He knew the gift that this was, and didn't take it lightly.
He had such focus. He took the ACT 2 days before he died. When the results came several weeks later, he had scored a 32. He was a 4.0 student.
He played Rugby. He ran on the cross-country and track teams. He treated his body like a machine, eating carefully and pushing it constantly. He never drank. Never smoked or tried drugs. Though lean, he was very strong. We found a notebook in our gym, a log of sorts, documenting his daily runs and weight lifting. He even chronicled his aches and pains. (On one page, he randomly wrote, "The church is true"). At 6'4", he was the tallest of the boys. In fact, he towered above most men. He loved that about himself. His hands & feet were so big. At 13 he was gawky. At 17, graceful.
His faith was solid. He tried to be good and he was. He knew that he was a child of God. He knew he was worthy of help from his Father in Heaven. He prayed often. In fact, right before the accident, after making their way down a harrowing pass, Eric told us that he looked at James and said "I didn't know if we would make it"... James replied "You'll be O.K., Eric. I just said a prayer for you." Some of his last words.
He was a son any parent would be grateful to call their own. A month or so after he died, John asked me if there was anything about him I would change. "Nope", I said. "Me either", was his reply. We had such hopes for him. So much affection. We just loved him so much.

17 comments:

laurel said...

Erin, I am so sorry for your loss. There is nothing that even compares to losing a child. I am glad you are focusing on his life. It sound like a wonderful life. I am sure he is a great asset in heaven. Sending our love.

Anna B. said...

Erin, it is a privelege and a blessing to me to read about James. I am so very sorry that his life on this earth was so short. What a valiant young man he was and still IS!

with love,
Anna

Deb said...

The memories, the stories, the love are so deep and passionate. I am so touched by your beautiful thoughts about James. What an amazing son! A true hero....

Eliza2006 said...

What a wonderful boy you have. It sounds like he was able to pack so much life into such a short amount of time. Thank you for sharing your memories with me.

Tiffany

Carrie said...

Oh my, that was so beautiful. What an amazing life James led, and what an incredible family he is a part of! We love you!

alison said...

oh erin, i just love you and admire your strength. i think about your family often. what an impact you have had on me and the way i look at many things in my life. thank you for this loving and sweet reminder of james. what an outstanding young man- and incredible mother, thank you for your example.

Anonymous said...

My heart goes out to your entire family on such a tragic loss. I recall reading about your son on your Personal China Adoption story site. James is surely an Angel watching over his family now and one day you will all meet again.

Hugs and best wishes,
Julia

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful boy! Thank you for sharing this touching tribute with us. What great attributes he had.
We love you all.

liv

Leslie said...

You amaze me Erin, I can't even imagine how difficult life must be living without this fantastic young man. Your strength is so admirable. I loved getting to "know" James and hearing about what an incredible young man he was. I want my 12 year old son to read this post, I think James lived a very inspirational life. Such a beautiful tribute to your beloved James.

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful tribute to your son James. He sounds like a remarkable person who deeply touched the lives of those around him and lived his life to the fullest. I'm so terribly sorry for your loss. Sending hope, peace and strength to your entire family...

Susan said...

That was just beautiful! You have a truley amazing son and I hope to meet him someday as you proudly introduce him to you friends who didn't know him. You are amazing Erin, I love you! You have been and inspiration to me.

Cammie said...

What a precious tribute to your sone!

Susan said...

I love reading about your precious James. Through your words, I feel like I know him. My heart grieves for you as I know even though time passes, it still remains so difficult - and often when you least expect it. Thanks for sharing James with all of us.

Lori said...

Erin, this was so difficult for me to read, yet it was one of the most special things I think I've ever read. I feel like I got to know your wonderful James and I think you are right, I "would have loved him". :) I can't imagine even writing in such a small space all that sums up this special young man, let alone losing him. I hope you continue to find the strength and grace as time moves forward until you are all together again.
I always enjoy coming to your blog~ the love your family shares is amazing and inspires me to be a better mom to my boys. Thank you for sharing your life with such honesty and beauty and grace.
Thank you so much for the comment you left for me earlier. :)

Jesse, James and Lindsey's mom said...

I just found your blog...I am so sorry for your loss of your precious boy. 2006 was a year of loss for me as well..losing my 8 yr old daughter. I am so so sorry. I can tell you that he was welcomed my daughter was the kindest and friends with all..I am sure she leads the welcoming committee!! God Bless You.
Kathy T
www.lindseyli.blogspot.com
mom to Chelsea Tatakis 9/07-1/06

Michelle Arnett said...

Beautiful Beautiful boy. The name James, is a special one isn't it? They can be our sweet baby James as well as a strong, can do Man. Your James was handsome, and you can always see in their eyes, valiant.I am so so sorry for your loss. Truly, it doesn't feel like you can go on living when you receive that news. I felt several times I would die from heart failure. Heart break is a very real, very painful physical feeling. It feels as if your heart is being ripped through your chest and you are burying it with your child. It seems that it is always the best, the ones who have the most to offer who are called home so early. I am grateful we have time under our belts. Your James sounds much like mine, when you described him as "always 1 step ahead." James as a 2 year old was wild, curious, smart, and purely Happy. I too can say that if you knew James, I know you would "love him" as everyone did. I am a part of a mommy blog that is private. It's a wonderful place to go to gain & give support, compassion, love and understanding. Let me know if you are interested, I will get you the contact info for the gal who hosts it. Much love to you, I am privileged to have "met" you. Whereabouts do you live in UT? I am in W. Jordan.
Sincerely,
Michelle

Anna Whiston-Donaldson said...

I am so very sorry for your loss of beautiful James. Yearning for the day when your whole family will be together again.