For... he therefore departed for a season, that thou shouldest receive him for ever; Not now as a servant, but above a servant, a brother beloved, specially to me, but how much more to thee, both in the flesh, and in the Lord? ~Philemon 1:15-16
Tanner is a missionary now. After months of preparing (years really), he is on his way. 8 weeks in the Missionary Training Center, learning Spanish and learning the ways of missionaries, and then off to Panama. They are lucky to get him!
Leaving him was pretty heart wrenching. The last few minutes , I broke down. I think I have grown weary of missing people I love. He finally turned and walked up the hill. John called after him, and he looked back and gave us this wave. We were all crying, and climbed into the car. John pulled out of the parking lot, and past some restaurants. He asked "Does anyone need anything?", and J.W. replied, "I need Tanner" I gave up even trying to be brave at that point. We miss him... he is so funny and sweet. Our house is kind of somber without him. I will start updating his blog soon, I have lots of things to scan and organize. We all wrote him letters last night. It was J.W.'s birthday, and he suggested we ought to write him. Two years seems so long...


13 comments:
Indeed two years is too long. My heart aches for you all. But look at that spirited and spiritual boy waving bravely to you all...the excitement is palpable and heartbreaking all at once...he will come back a man...
I hope that slowly your grief and sadness will turn to the pride and joy you so obviously take in your son. My thoughts and prayers will certainly be with you all in this time of transition. I know it is ever so much more difficult for you to let go...and I am in awe of your ability to do so. You have given this boy such strong roots...and now the wings...watch him fly and take delight in his accomplishments. Love to you all...
Kate
What a perfect, heart-felt comment from Kate. I can only echo her sentiments and wish you all a happy two years. My cousin just returned from San Salvador and Belize. She loved it. We love you!
Indeed... Kate, you made me a little teary. Thanks to you both. So generous of you. But I know you're mothers. With Mother's hearts!
Your post just tugs on this mother's heart. I can certainly understand why you would be filled with a mixture of emotions. However, what an awesome opportunity to go out to witness and give back to others for all that he has received. I'm sure everyone he meets will be blessed by his gentle & caring spirit.
I will keep all of you in prayer.
Erin: You have such amazing and truly special boys (and Libby of course)! They are leaders, kind, valiant and Tanner will surely touch the lives of many! It is his destiny! We love you and can't wait for his sweet return!
Oh Erin -- I'm sure you are so proud of him, yet so sad to have him go. You have the sweetest family -- I'm sure he feels the power of your love all around him!
Janet
'grown weary of missing people I love'.....made me cry. Your sweet boy who is now a young man is so blessed you are his mother.
Big hugs.
Anna
Oh Erin, this post was very heart touching! May God bless you and Tanner! No act on earth goes unrecorded and unrewarded in Heaven.
Best Wishes and Many Blessings to Tanner...I can only imagine your heartache in missing him, but I can also only imagine your Pride in him~xoxo
It seems they do things a little differently at the MTC now. How was the curb side drop off? He is so handsome with his suit and tag. I can't wait to hear his stories and see pictures of him with the people of Panama. They are sooo lucky to have him! You have done this before, I pray that experience strengthens you now and in the next two years! My sweet son is on the tail end of his two years, and is loving every moment :)
Wow. Good job mom. Good job dad. Good Luck Tanner. What a wonderful picture. The army of God on to war.
OH, I started crying while reading your post it has been awhile since I've been for a visit.
You have such an amazing strength that God has blessed you with.
Your family will be in my prayers.
HUGS,
Natalie
We will miss Tanner as well. I loved our family home evening for Tanner before he left. We have such a strong, loving, close family...I'm excited to read his letters home and to have my little family write to him!
Post a Comment