I seems that every few years I break a toe. How does this happen? Exhibit A: I have really long toes. They just jut out so far, and get cracked on door frames, port-a-crib legs, chairs. A few days before James died, I went downstairs to find James and Marshall sleeping under a "tent" made of a quilt with very heavy weights holding the corners onto the couch. Alarmed (and angry), I tugged on the quilt, only to have a weight fall onto my toe, breaking it. Now really mad, I scolded both boys and went upstairs to bed. They were clearly disheartened, having wanted only to "camp out" together. (Really, so sweet for a cool 17 year old boy to want to have this kind of fun with his little 10 year old brother). Marshall told me much later that he asked James why I would get so mad about something so little, and James told him "Mom is just tired and under lots of stress". Sweet boy. Libby's blessing was the next day, and James was right. After the accident I just could not feel any physical pain, and developed a severe bone infection. My toe turned a dark purple-black, and I had to go to the hospital multiple times for consultations, x-rays, and IV's. (I also developed a colon impaction---apparently a common condition in grief. But that's another story). I know how awful this sounds---but I really just wanted it cut off, as I felt incapable of coping with the situation. Of course the doctors wisely refused, and it eventually healed. Anyway, yesterday I fractured another toe. Just walking into Libby's room. Warning: Gross!! I bumped it very hard on the doorway, and felt it snap. When I looked down, my fourth toe had turned sideways, and was splayed across my littlest toe. Sideways. And the worst part... it felt kind of mushy. Like a glob of playdough atop my little toe. I kind of wish now that I'd photographed it, but I was too horrified. John met me at the hospital for X-rays. Then they gave me an IV to sedate me, and "reduced" (set) it. Now, in spite of the fact that my head is (as always) spinning with a to-do list, I am watching Curious George with Libby. The upside? At least I'll have time to catch up on blogs! Is there an (online) class addressing "How to get through life without breaking your toes even though they're way too long"? Honestly, I am guessing at least one person thought at first glance that the above photo was of my hand?
Updated to add: I am laughing so hard at the comments! When the nurse asked me the question, "On a scale of 1 to 10, how bad does it hurt?", I replied, "I know that there are people who come in here with their limbs cut off... but can I still say 10? Will you think less of me? Because in all honesty, I can't say 9." She asked, "Really?" And I (like Janet) said, "Worse than childbirth." One gangly toe.


16 comments:
Oh no -- you poor thing! YOu wouldn't think toe injuries would hurt so much, but they do! I know!
When my second son was 2,he dropped a HUGE can of Hi-C on my big toe - destroying it! OUCH!!! I told a nurse that the toe injury was worse than childbirth! Hope your toe feels better fast! Have a great weekend anyway!
Janet
OUch!!! Erin I am so sorry you have to do this again! Your story about James and Marshall and the fort will make me think twice before I lose my patience when the boys drag out ALL the blankets next time~
And oh my you DO have long toes...My Dad has REALLY long toes, so much so that he had a podiatrist tell him he had the ugliest feet he had ever seen!! LOL
xoxo
Erin,
I could have written this post (well some of it). I too have broken my toes (always the little ones) more times than I can count. Dave often tell me that I ought to cut the right one off because it is constantly swollen and bruised. I stub them on EVERYTHING!
I am so sorry. I know how painful it can be. Hope it heals quickly!
Such a cute little toe, too, with its red nail polish! Broken toes are the worst! Scott broke one while he was in a cast for his achilles tendon rupture. So painful! Not quite as painful as watching curious George, though. That monkey makes such big messes, and the Man in the Yellow Hat seems completely oblivious to how destructive and inappropriate his monkey is. It's the only show Xanthe will watch, but she has to watch it without me.
I hope you mend quickly!
Oh man, I'm right there with you Erin.... During one year I broke both elbows (radial heads) at the same time, then broke first the right big toe then the the left big toe a few months later.... your red toenails look cute, though.
Oh OUCH!
I tend to do this every 3 yrs or so..just not that bad!
Hope you are feeling better and on your feet (LOL, I just had too!) soon!
Hugs, Jill
I cringed when I read your post. I would definitely rather have a baby! You can choose to get an epidural, and you get to take something sweet and adorable home with you. Poor, you only got to take home a bottle of pain pills! I have really long toes too, but I haven't ever broken one. I do wear my shoes a lot. Maybe that is why. Get some steel-toed slippers!
Keri
P.S. Just a thought...have you thought about getting a bone density scan done?
I did think that was your hand in the picture. So sorry about the toe. Yuck! I guess there are some drawbacks to being beautiful and slender like you. Glad you have time to watch Curious George with Libby though. He is also a favorite with Em:)
So fun to see you again tonight! Broken toe and all! But the shoe is a fashion statement for sure! Really reading about it just made me cringe! Ok, so since blogging with Kenna and keeping up on your blog it has made me want to get into blogging again! Maybe soon?! It really so much fun! Love ya!
Oh my goodness! I'm so sorry you had to go through this!! Reading your post just gives me the creeps. I don't handle those situations well at all. I probably would of fainted!! But the red nail polish and the fancy shoe make a great fashion statement. Hope your toe is feeling better soon!
Hey, you and my hubby ought to get together. He just broke his toe the other day too. Man is it ugly! I feel for you....he is in so much pain too. Hang in there....make sure you get lots of flowers out of this!!!
Erin: That sounds so painful. I'm so sorry. I hope time is on your side with a little healing coming your way.
Take care, and maybe buy some new fall shoes!
Oh poor you!!! Looking forward to maybe getting to know you on bloggy land. Breaking your toe is not funny. I broke my thumb and the dr said there are so many nerve endings at the end of a digit it can hurt more than breaking an arm or a leg. Will pray for a speedy recovery. Enjoy the time of resting!!
Love Jules
xxx
Bless your heart! I am so sorry that you are suffering through yet another broken toe.
I had a roommate in college whose feet were deformed - several toes were webbed and misshapen. She clung to the verse, "How beautiful on the mountains are the feet of those who bring good news, who proclaim peace, who proclaim salvation." You certainly qualify as having beautiful feet!
I hope that you heal quickly. XOXO
Oh Erin, I am so sorry to hear you broke your toe or even worse have broken so many. I hope you'll at least be up and around fairly soon. It's hard to get around with a broken toe.
Diana & Stefanie
Hi Erin,
Thanks for stopping by and your support...how is your missionary?
Post a Comment