March 29, 2009

{HapPy BirTHdaY, JamEs}

"Godspeed little man,
sweet dreams, little man.
Oh my love will fly to you
each night on angel's wings.
Godspeed, 
Sweet dreams."
~Godspeed, Dixie Chicks~

Project14

James would be 20 on this day.  As I have seen  another grieving Mother  do,  here are 50 things I love about him....

Dear James,
I love:
1. Your beautiful face...  Your eyes were always bright.  No matter how tired you were, you always had a look of curiosity and wonder about you.  I never ever saw you with a dull expression.

2. I loved that you were such a happy soul.  Comfortable in your own skin for sure.  I don't think you ever doubted your place in the world.  Even during your awkward 14th year.

3. I loved the way you stuck up for people.  Your friends.  Your brothers.  Yourself.  You knew how to hold your ground, and it seemed natural for you to lend your bravado to others, whoever needed you.  I sometimes thought it gave you a thrill to just join in the cause.

4.  Your laugh was big and hearty, like Dad's.  A guffaw really, and no one could hear it without at least smiling themself.  Even your teachers.

5.  I loved that you were reflective.  Many people probably didn't know this about you, but you loved poetry, words to favorite songs.  Maybe because your adored big brother JW does too. You followed him everywhere.  You ordered what he did in restaurants.  You gave him your full attention when he told you what to do. You made a ring like the one he'd made in High School Jewelry class.   And you picked traits of his to make your own.

6.  You had feet like a puppy.  In adolescence, you didn't want to be the tall kid. Once at a Jr. Jazz basketball game, when you were about 13, Kristie W. said to you, "You know James, the fastest way to draw attention to your height is to slump".  You got her point, and straightened up.  Then  later  you could hardly contain yourself at your good fortune! To be so tall and broad-shouldered!   You flaunted your height, and used it to good measure when you felt threatened. Or when one of your mates did.  

7.  Your cheeks were ruddy, and almost always flushed.  You were always coming in from  a run, a climb, a rugby game, a day in the sun.

8.  You didn't rat on people.  Ever.  You were a bit guarded with news.  I think you really valued trust.  And people did trust you.  

9. I loved your wit.  You made me laugh so hard, so often.  I miss that so much... laughing at your one-liners. 

10. I loved the way you adored Libby Mei.  Before we met her, you told everyone about her.  And then when she came home  you were shameless.  You really could hardly stand to be away from her.  The day before you died, you took her to Eric's in the stroller.  It was so hot, and when you left his house you made him push the stroller up the street while you carried Libby  because you thought it was too hot for your darling sister.  I knew she would be safe with you.  I had such dreams for you and her.  I thought you would have a lifetime together.  At your grave the other day, when we were telling things we loved about you, Libby said "He is my special angel".  She will miss you her whole life.

11. You loved all of our Heavenly Father's creations.  Bugs, animals, trees, the ocean, streams, caves, mountain trails.   You were born that way.  Just always wondering about the world. Olivia sang "What a Wonderful World" (The Eva Cassidy version) at your funeral.  It was perfect. It is what you believed.  Your world truly was wonderful.

12.  Watching you run.  
 
13.  I loved so much, watching you pound your chest for the dog to jump up on.  Then you hugged him.  He gave you his heart, and you didn't take it for granted.

14.  When it was time for bed  you were tired.  And you went to bed  because you needed your strength for the next day.

15.  I loved being with you and your brothers in any public place.  People smiled, admiring you all.  And I'll be honest: it made me proud.  I've heard other mothers say that they aren't defined by their children.  But I am.  And when you're not with us, I want to tell everyone, "There is so much more to our family!"  When I was told  you had died, I cried out "No! I have four sons!" over and over.  It is who I am.  The mother of four sons. And now Libby.

16. I loved your eyelashes.   

17. You were always planning something new.  Something adventurous and challenging.  I thought that you would make such a good Husband and Father.... it takes courage and tenacity to rear a family.  

18.  I loved to watch you read.  You looked rather like a natty professor with your glasses, your mackinaw, your slippers.  

19. When you thought hard, you scowled.

20.  I loved your friends.
  
21.  You loved them too, and they knew that you would always come through.

22.  You were the greatest big brother.  The Saturday before you died, you built a blanket fort for Marshall & you in the basement.  He was so happy to spend time with you... I am so sorry now that I fussed at you both.  He told me later that after I walked upstairs (with a broken toe, from the weight you held the corner of the blanket with falling on it), you told him "Mom is tired.  She has a lot on her mind". 

23.  Your clothes.  I miss buying them for you.  I sometimes see things I know you'd like, and it hurts.

24.  I love that you were so boyish.  As a baby, such a little man.  Always slinging a play gun, a bungee cord, a rat trap.  

25.  Your food requests.  Pineapple.  Watermelon.  Prime Rib.  Always begging me to stock up.  Telling me you were hungry.

26.  You were silly sometimes. As a teen, you'd sneak into the backyard in your swim trunks, and lay in the sun to get tan.  Embarrassed to be caught.  

27.   Your teeth were so big and so white.

28.  When Matt got hurt, you put your head in your hands, sick with worry.  Then you said a prayer.  I knew you loved him.  He was moved when we told him about it.

29.  I loved your kindness.  You loved people, and  you tried to be gentle with them.  

30.  You took problems seriously.  You were about solving them.  Quickly. Hopefully before Dad or I found out. 

31.  You loved me.  You told me so.  And  you were so loyal.

32.  Your intellect.  And though school came easily to you,  you worked so hard to be at the top of your game.

33.  I loved your long legs.  You walked like a cowboy.

34.  People ALWAYS laughed at your jokes.  Had someone else told them, I'm not sure we'd have had such a laugh.  It was just your way.  

35.  Girls swooned for you.  It was sweet to watch.  

36.  I found a text on my phone from you after you died.  "Hi Mom" it said.  It felt like a love note.  And it made me sob.

37.   Tanner wrote you a letter  he read at the funeral.  He said, "What I will miss most James, is just your presence in the room."  

38.  I loved your fingers.  You had such regret for not sticking with the piano.  I think you might have been a little jealous when all of your brothers became good at musical instruments.  When you asked for a harmonica, I knew you had given up.  But still  you tried to master it, making it your own.

39.  I knew that I could trust you. 

40.  You prayed.  You trusted that God would help you.  

41.  You had so much to give the world.  You were not a taker.  

42.  You loved all of your Uncles, Aunts, & Cousins,  so much.  Each is unique, and you had a unique relationship with each one.  You shared funny inside jokes, and little stories.  You loved to be with them, and never balked at a family party or vacation.  Always asking what we'd be eating.

43.  You saw your grandparents as your fan club.  They adored you, and you gave them your love completely.  Your Grandpa Hansen, who died when you were 5, had a big impact on you. You had a few of his things, and you guarded them, handled them,  and looked at them often. When we came home from China, Dad showed me his wallet, given to you by Grammy.  You had put a picture of Libby in it.  

44. Your journal.  I read it and I cry.  Sometimes now, I can laugh too.

45.  All of your contraptions.  You were so earnest about building things.

46.  Hugging you.  The feel of your muscular back.  How you would sometimes pick me up in a hug. I had a dream about you the first birthday after you died.  And I hugged you...

47.  All of your gear.  So specialized and so varied.  Running cleats, Rugby shirts, Short "Trick Skis", A glow-in-the-dark Frisbee.  Piles of things that you hankered for, and then actually used to learn something new.

48.  The sound of you  rumbling up the stairs.  

49.  Your deep voice.  A commanding voice for a boy.

50.    I love that after you died, I could picture you standing before your Father in Heaven, and I thought of  you showing Him the man you had become.  I love your faith that everything would work out.  That good things would come to you. You were right James.  
Happy Birthday.  Love, Mom

27 comments:

Dawn said...

OH Erin...I have tears streaming down my face...I cannot imagine your grief, but I know the love you have for your precious James..what a wonderful son you have...AND yes you do have 4 sons!! I love that you found a text on your phone after her died....I am sure it felt like a hug from James...I still find it so amazing and wonderful that he and Libby share the same birthday...God works in mysterious amazing ways~

xoxo

Jboo said...

Oh Erin -- what a wonderful son and brother he was! Such a beautiful, inspiring post.

Janet

Deb said...

Erin: The words you write, the thoughts that you feel, they are so touching and real. You can just feel it through your entry. James would love to read your words. Love you,

3 Peanuts said...

Erin, this is so beautiful and it reminded me to appreciate all of the little things about all of my children. James sounds like he was such a wonderful young man and I know your heart aches for him.

On of my favorite bullets is the one about how you are defined by your children...I am too. Could So identify with that. And it is something to be proud of. I totally get that when one is missing you feel like...wait there is more to us. I get it. I am so sorry that that feeling is likely always there now.

Hugs,
Kim

Keri said...

I am in absolute tears as I type this. I can just imagine your James and I only wish I could have known him too. Thank you for sharing a little about him with us. He is so handsome. I, like you, am defined by my family and I am proud of it. You have much to be proud of when you look at those 50 points and you know that he is the son you and your husband raised.

Keri

Melanie said...

Dear Erin,
Every time I hear that song, I think of my little boys in Heaven. I have always wondered what life would be like if they were here on Earth with me. Reading your list to James was inspiring and so touching and gave me a glimpse into what that life may have been. What a wonderful young man you have raised. You must be so proud of him.

I pray that the sun is shining brightly on you today...every day!

Anonymous said...

That was beautiful and sad.

Kim said...

Erin
This post is just beautiful!
Thank you so much for showing us a side of James that so many of us never knew. What a wonderful young man you raised!

Your beautiful words move me to tears!

The Kemps said...

We love James. I loved reading this (even though I'm crying) he was such a great boy, I am lucky to have known him and loved him! I love the tight family relations that I have and that I know that someday I'll get to see him again! Happy Birthday James!

Susan said...

Erin Erin Erin how I wish I could wrap my arms around you and cry with you. I actually had to stop reading the list for a moment and will come back once I can get hold of my own tears. I simply can't imagine your pain but know your strong faith will sustain and He will never leave us or forsake us.

I will never forget reading your update on Myadoptionwebsite about James and it has made a profound impact on understanding that we are only on this earth for a very short time.

May God continue to cradle you in his loving arms now and forever.

laurel said...

WHat a wonderful tribute to James and what a wonderful remembrance of him. I hope you are doing okay. Our thoughts are with you.

laurel said...

I saw you on TV during the conference sessions! So wonderful!

Heather said...

I loved the gleam in his eye when he would talk to me. I loved his red cheeks. I loved how he fiercely loved his brothers.

How we miss you...our sweet James.

Circe said...

What an eloquent and heartfelt tribute. You are so blessed to feel that you are defined by your children. I feel the same way, and lucky to have them. Your longing for James makes me hug little Freestone a little tighter in James' honor. We love you and your family.

Carrie said...

One of my favorite things is to listen to you talk about James. It's a beautiful thing to hear the love in your voice and words. How blessed you are to have such a beautiful son and how blessed he is to have such loving and caring mother for eternity!!!

Eloise said...

What a beautiful tribute to a beautiful, brave and much-loved son. The world is surely a better place for James having been here but sadly it is much dimmer having lost him.

I'm so glad that he had a mother who loved and appreciated him! Certainly you nurtured each one of the traits that were so admirable in James. I imagine he knew more love and joy in his seventeen years than most people experience in a lifetime.

Happy Birthday, sweet James.

And a happy birthday to Libby Mei too!

Shawnstribe said...

thank you for sharing yourbeautiful son with me.
He is sooo precious and always in your heart
((((((HUGS))))))
xxx
s

The 5 Bickies said...

My children came in and saw me crying as I read your beautiful post. So many things you love about James are things I notice in my own boys. They still have so much growing to do and, selfishly, I hope it's God's plan for them to do it here with me.

Blessings and comfort to you.

Jessica Ryan said...

bloghopping and came here over from 5 Bickies... I have never met you or your family and yet the way you wrote about your son, so eloquently, I can picture him vividly. What a wonderful person he must have been indeed. No parent should ever have to go through what you did. This was the most beautiful blog post I have ever read. Happy Birthday James and Libby!

Lori said...

Happy Birthday to your bright-eyed baby boy.
Love and hugs,
Lori

Kim said...

Oh Erin,
Simply beautiful. I loved the coverage of your lovely family between conference sessions! It almost brought me to tears. What a wonderful mother you are!
Blessings to you and your family,
Kim

Hillcrest Acres said...

Reading your post brought me to tears. It is such a beautiful tribute to your son. I can't imagine the pain you went through and continue to go through after losing him.

My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.

Anonymous said...

Thank you, Erin, for being a wonderful Mom to these remarable sons/grandsons and Libby. I am so grateful for all you and your siblings teach me through the way you live. Love, Mom

Mo said...

Such a beautiful list, Erin. I love it. Thanks for sharing with us. And thanks for having such an enormous heart yourself! We all benefit from it - over and over.

BrOwN CiRcUs said...

Dear Erin, what a beautiful tribute to your wonderful son! I cried reading about him. What an amazing soul, I can imagine he is in the spirit world serving and teaching others...your thoughts of him show how selfless and caring he was here. His was a greater mission. Happy Birthday James...

Anna Whiston-Donaldson said...

Erin, I loved getting to know James through this beautiful post! Sending you a big hug today. xo

McKenna said...

What a beautiful post and such an amazing way to get to know your son. I am so sorry he is no longer here and sending you hugs.