Updated to add: People have asked about how J.W. came to the decision to remain on his mission...it was a really hard decision; one that we had to let him make. There were many varying opinions about what he should do (I wanted him to come home ), and the church was supportive of whatever he decided to do. His mission president left the decision completely up to our son. There was a great deal of support and love for him there. He decided to stay in Montreal. I know, as truly heart-wrenching as it was for us all to be apart, and for him to process it, that he made the right choice. He actually felt that it would be too hard to leave us again, and return, and he really wanted to complete his service. (missionaries are SO focused--- and I am quite certain that he was guided by divine inspiration) In some ways, he was spared much trauma, but he has had to grieve so much since returning--- they were so close, and he misses James so much. There have been some really rough times for him, indeed for each of our children. I really do think that each case is so different, and must be treated carefully. In our case, I had some terribly urgent health problems the day after the funeral, and almost had to have surgery, so I think that he really would not have felt able to return to Montreal. It was so healing for him to be able to complete his mission , and he did feel James helping him. I know that no one expects us to justify his decision, or to explain it, but I think it might help some to know how we came to this choice. Thank you for your kind words. I know that the compassion of friends & strangers helps me to be stronger. I really do know this.
August 2, 2008
{JamEs' FuNerAL: JuNe 17, 2oo6}
These photographs were taken by our dear friend Alison. Some of them are so raw in the grief they depict, that I would not post them. But I am still so grateful to have them, as they document the sorrow of our family, and also the love that we have been surrounded with. They are very precious to us now. This would be difficult to explain to anyone who has not experienced this... but they are a connection to our James. James was a person capable of loving so deeply, and he loved all of these people so much! Seeing his brothers, his uncles, his cousins carrying his casket is very poignant to me. Seeing all of his family & friends missing and loving him evokes so much tenderness and gratitude in me, as I know it would in him. In years to come, I feel quite certain that our children and grandchildren will be better able to understand and process the loss of their brother and uncle, if they are able to see these photographs. Our J.W., who was serving a mission in Canada, watched a video of the funeral, as well as a CD of these photographs. I find solace in these images--- knowing that, though our sorrow was so intense... ( and it truly hasn't altered much), my perspective has changed. It was, in some ways, the most profoundly spiritual day of my life. I am relieved that we are two years past it. Sometimes James feels so far away (It has just been so long since I have talked with him, touched him). Other days, I feel myself moving ever closer to him...
Posted by
Erin
at
4:45 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




16 comments:
It doesn't seem like you should have to go on after something like this. It is so good that you continue to talk about James and your memories of him. You are strong and brave.
Erin, that was so beautiful and moving. You are very brave to share these tender memories of your precious James with us.
I so admire your strength.
Keri
You are so lucky to have such great images of that day. He was such a wonderful man, that it is only fitting you have these wonderful pictures of so many who loved him and were touched by him. You are so brave. I admire you so much. I totally understand about changing your perspective. You are never the same when faced with such a trial and loss. Jay and I were talking about that last night. We aren't sure who we are. But we are different in so many ways. We admire you and your family and think you are so wise and such a great example. We love you.
Erin, I don't know you at all, but my heart just breaks for you. To see images of you at your son's funeral is just so painful. I hope your son was able to come home for his brother's funeral. God bless your family.
hugs to a beautiful lady
xxx
s
My friend,
These were truly difficult images to watch. Honestly, I did not find them beautiful in the traditional sense. I found them upsetting. I was angry to have to watch such grief unfold beofre me. It was heartwrenching.
But I think you for sharing them with us. I thank you for the opportunity to "be there" with you on this most horrendous day. I truly felt I was in the trenches with you...and I value that in friendship.
You know my respect for you is huge. But the reason why continues to evolve as I get to know you better. Today, I respect you for your bravery in sharing this very personl slide show. I respect you for haveing the strength and grace to wllow other into your grief. I respect you for your very frailty.
I know you have said...you have no choice...you must go on with this terrible burden on your shoulders...but please know I am truly there beside you...and so willing to carry part of this load in spirit, in prayer, in thought.
Much love to you,
Kate
Your post is so moving it just tugs at my heart. While reading James' list it must give you some reassurance knowing that the top two were: read scripture and pray. I'm also sure that getting a tan and a hair cut help with the wonderful memories of James.
May your strong faith give you hope and peace. You are an inspiration to all of us.
Your in my prayers.
Erin, losing James is so much more than any parent should have to bear. How is it even possible? Thank you for sharing such personal thoughts and images. I only wish that by sharing your grief, we could help lift your burden.
I am sure there is no greater sorrow than for a parent to lose a child. I am so sorry for the loss of your wonderful son.
Janet
Erin,
Your courage to heal and show others your journey amazes me. I looked at these images with such a sad heart. I am glad that you have them. I cannot even begin to imagine your pain. Your wisdom and your courage is truly inspiring.
I pray for your family. I am sure it still hurts every single day.
With love,
Kim
You are truly a great and courageous person. The intense grief is so evident..but also evident is a glimmer of hope. May God bless you and your family.
Nate
Erin, thank you for being so candid with your feelings and emotions. I simply can't imagine your days without James. I will never forget the day I first read about the accident. I didn't know you or James, but broke down and sobbed as I continued to read. What a beautiful young man. His life has touch so many- including those that never met him. I also can't believe I've met someone that kept his boots like I kept my Dad's ;). I'm still considering having them bronzed as you did. May God grant you the Peace only He can give.
Susan.
Erin,
The memories of that day come back as I see these pictures. There are so many emotions we all felt watching you and your family go through this painful experience. It is so sweet seeing the pictures of you watching the men carry James' coffin from the chapel; as if to rush behind them to help them and remind them to be oh so careful; that they are carrying your precious boy! I am also reminded what a gift and blessing Libby was and is in your life! Thanks for sharing. I love you!
Carrie
I am not sure how you managed to have a son on a mission, and not call him home during this loss. You must have had many angels there to support you during this difficult time. Watching the slides reminds me of how quick life can change and how grateful I am for the gospel and the perspective it brings during times like this. Thank you for sharing them. I thought the family members carrying the casket was touching beyond words.
This post was just so beautifully written and I found myself choking up while I watched. As a mother of these same age children I find myself almost afraid to see this as if it might come my way, the worst thing that can ever happen to you. But to see you live through it and with such grace, gives me courage. I hope you don't mind my raw honesty here. From one mom to another, I feel you grief and want you to know but mostly I think you deserve the real feelings from me. Its the least a practically a stranger can do when you share this deep of a subject. I keep you in my prayers and think you are just beautful!
Post a Comment