June 14, 2008

{My DaD}

"There's no pillow
quite as soft as
a father's strong shoulder."
~Richard L. Evans

SCAN0005[1]

My dad died 14 years ago this summer. He was such a powerful force in my life. He still is. I looked to him as the wisest person in the world. He had good advice, but usually kept it to himself until he was asked. My dad taught me that life was mine for the taking. That if I hoped and worked and prayed for something, it could be part of my life--- or part of my character. In this way, he was the force behind Libby Mei coming to our family.
He taught me that people will almost always give you the benefit of the doubt. That usually, they are on your team. He taught me to be inspired by others, never envious. Thus, I have mostly been free of the burden of envy my whole life. My dad showed me how to do so many things: take out a tree stump, a cinder block wall, or a wisdom tooth. (He was a dentist). Water ski and snow ski. Poison rats. Mow a lawn. Use a skil saw. Set up a tent. Cook with a dutch oven. Set up a fireworks display--- by nailing fireworks to the sides of tree trunks--- that would give anyone a thrill. He helped me hatch and raise eight darling ducklings for a science project in Jr. High. I thought he hung the moon for that one.

He helped me make quilts for boyfriends, and then later waited in front of their houses in his car when I broke up with them. He spent days working on my tryout notebook for Pep Club... shooting sideways glances at my mom the whole time. He trudged along with me to buy prom dresses and the first suit I bought for my first job out of college. He was there when I chose my wedding dress; rolling his eyes at the price, and then grinning willingly. He gave me straight teeth, a love for the land, and a tender spot for animals and children.

He adored the older three boys--- each of his grandchildren, and would have adored Marshall and Libby. He was crazy about John. He adored my mom. He had lots of friends, many of whom called him or saw him almost daily. I never saw my Dad reject anyone. Ever. Sometimes people exasperated him, but he always tried to understand them. He prayed often, and lived for the influence of our Father in Heaven. He was, in many ways, the person who prepared me for the sorrows that came to me when he left us. I have every reason to believe that he was the first person to go to my James after he died. Helped him up. Walked with him to heaven.
He left me with strength and a belief that life is beautiful. I love him so. I give thanks that he is my father. I have been blessed.

8 comments:

Ronda said...

We should all be so lucky to have a dad like yours. Thanks for sharing your memories.

Lori said...

So this is why you are the way you are!! Your Daddy sounds like one VERY special man!

I hope you got the email I sent you the other day! Thanks SO much for the perfectly lovely package, I enjoyed every single, special part. :)

Carrie said...

Oh Erin, That was so beautiful. Thank you for sharing all of this with us. What an incredible man!

Melanie said...

Erin,
What a beautiful tribute to your loving father. He sounds like a wonderful man.

The Kemps said...

I read this the other day, but I needed some time to get it together before I could tell you how much I love reading about Grandpa. I have always felt blessed to be the oldest Grandchild and have so many wonderful memories with this wonderful man! Parker made the comment after reading this that he is sure that he would have loved Grandpa and they would have gotten along great. I'm sure that's true!

3 Peanuts said...

You are truly blessed to have had a father like that.

Kim

Sister~Mom said...

Sounds like a great man...and has a wonderful daughter to show for all his hard work.

Anonymous said...

Your dad was my dad's very best friend. He still is and my dad still misses him dearly. He was one of my heros! I learned many lessons from him and felt of his love and compassion for me. Some of the best memories I have are of your dad and the Hansen family. I love him and I love you too! Kelly