"You don't choose your family.
They are God's gift to you,
as you are to them."
~Desmond Tutu
The quote above was on our website when we went to China. Then we used it as one of the quotes in James' funeral program (along with the "Hero" quote on the side of my blog, and several others). I love it. It reminds me of the divine plan that brings families together. Also that our families are God's gift to us. I am most assuredly still growing and learning how to parent. Especially now that our oldest is 21 years old, and we are navigating new territory. I have been thinking for a time, though, about things I have learned as a parent. I want to record some ideas in my "journal", so that our children will have some reminders of our family beliefs. Here are some things I hope they teach their children:
---"Don't tell people what you can show them." If you are really good at soccer (or playing guitar, or math, or charming girls) others will figure it out.
--- If you have to say "I was just kidding", you probably should not have said it in the first place.
--- No hitting. No exceptions.
--- If you go to the grocery store to buy celery for your mom, don't call her on your cell phone when you "can't remember what celery looks like". It is too upsetting for your mother to face the reality of what lies ahead for you. Just ask a produce guy. Or read the signs.
--- If you want to be treated like an adult , here are some things about adults that you should know: They clean stuff up. They call to let others know their whereabouts & schedule. They don't assume that others are less busy/tired/frustrated than they are. They keep their bodily functions to themselves, unless there is a medical emergency requiring them to discuss such things. They smile and look people in the eye. They listen. They say "please", "thank you", "you're welcome", and "I'm sorry". They throw garbage into garbage cans. We will know when you are an adult. You won't have to tell us.
--- A parent never wants to hear the word "probation" in the same sentence as their child's name. Even when it only means that their driving privileges are in jeopardy because of speeding and failing to stop for a full 3 seconds in such close proximity to getting their driver's license. Apparently a person has less points at their disposal for the first six months after getting their license. So not that kind of probation. But still.
---Dishes do not load themselves into the dishwasher. It might seem that way at times, but that is merely an illusion.
---No name calling. No exceptions.
---You don't have to do your best at everything. This is ridiculous. Do your best at what counts. Otherwise, just get it done.
---Few things are so bad that you can't fix them. It might not be easy, but if you come to us, we will help you. That doesn't mean we won't be mad.
---You are our life's work. You are why your Dad gets up and heads off to a long day's work. Why your Mother never sleeps quite enough. You are the very best thing that has ever happened to us. Never forget that. We are lucky, and we know it.
12 comments:
Erin,
Thanks so much for these words...I believe they were inspired. I have had a really hard week and this was something I loved reading. I plan on printing these quotes out and plastering them on the walls around my house. Thanks again-it touched me so much.
Ronda
So incredibly well-said. I'm going to use these guidelines as my Parenting Bible as my kids head into teenhood. I hope mine turn out just like yours! :)
I am copying this for my own use. Amusing, and so very wise at the same time. You are a gifted writer!
We are headed tot he shore for the week (and here, I could have used some organizational packing tips as I am now just stuffing stuff in to the suitcase and hoping for the best...so if you could work on that, that would be so great...just a thought...)
:-)
Kate
thanks for the tips. i love the one about being treated like an adult. all very true. as i was reading, i had a very clear picture of you saying these words. you have such a great way of putting things:)
Such a great post. You can be sure that these will be said in our house when the time comes!
Thank you for saying what every mother is thinking! You are so wise:D
That was so great! I hope you don't mind, I stole a few. You can tell your family loves each other so much.
What wise and wonderful observations! I've printed them and hung them on our bulletin board. Hugs to you for sharing with all of us.
Erin,
I can't remember how I found your blog exactly . . . you know how it is when you just start linking one from another! :)
But I was so surprised how much we have in common. I am also a mother of 4 sons and one adopted daughter. And I also have a son in Heaven - he passed away on June
12, 2006 after a hard battle with cancer. He was only 6.
James sounds like such a wonderful young man. I am so very sorry for your loss. May God bless your beautiful family greatly!
And I just loved your words of wisdom today - definitely copying some of these down. :) Thanks for sharing.
There is so much wisdom in your maxims. I would also like to borrow a few! Good luck on the driving probation:) I also believe that our families are from a loving God, and everyday we get to spend with them is an incredible gift! I also believe our daughters were meant to be ours...Not just a clerical match-up between two sets of paperwork. Who can look at Libby and not thing that as well. Beautiful blog!
Love your words of wisdom -- they are so on point! Hope you have a a great week!
Janet
Beautifully said...
Post a Comment