May 18, 2008

{MeMe}


I was tagged by Anna , Kim, & Susan for this meme. (I do not know how to put spaces between paragraphs... It looks fine until I hit "publish", and then everything gets squished together. Any tips?)



Favorite person (outside of family):
I love people who make me laugh. I love people who share ideas with me... make me look at things in a new way. I love people who are honest and open--- genuine and unpretentious. I love people who love their family. I love people who want the best for everyone--- an abundant life for everyone around them. I have many friends who give me all of these gifts.




Favorite food?
I am crazy about watermelon, fish, steak, toast, pulled pork, lemon everything. I drink TAB, which is frankly embarrassing, but I don't seem to be able to give it up.




Quirks about you?
Where to begin? This question should be answered by someone else who knows me. They would have a hey day.




How would the person who loves you the most describe you in ten words or less?
I cannot corner my husband, as he has been working non-stop for days, so I will have to fill this one in later. Libby (who, it could be argued, loves me the most) said "playing".




Any regrets in life?
Sure, but I try to learn from them. I am profoundly grateful for the atonement, as it allows me to move forward in spite of my mistakes. I suppose I regret not taking advantage of the principle of repentance often enough.





Favorite charity or cause?
Orphans, LDS Humanitarian Services









Favorite blog recently?
I just love "Big Mama"! She is funny and sweet. I almost cannot start my day without checking in on her! My sisters read her too, so now we have inside "Big Mama" jokes.









Something you cannot get enough of?
Hugs, laughter, flowers, pearls, kind words, topiaries...








Worst job you ever had?

Teaching preschool. I love children...but honestly, this was just a dreadful job. Tip of the hat to anyone who likes this job, and does it well. They have my genuine and heartfelt respect.







What job would you pay NOT to have?

I am with others... I cannot clean up body fluids. My husband does this all the time at work. I am the biggest gagger ever born.


If you could be a fly on the wall, where?

My Mother taught me that "Snoops have to live with what they learn"... but I would really love to see some of the stories I have read about in the scriptures unfold!













Favorite Bible verse right now? Romans 8: 35, 37-39:


"35 Who shall separate us from the love of Christ? shall tribulation, or distress, or persecution, or famine, or nakedness, or peril, or sword?
37 Nay, in all these things we are more than conquerors through him that loved us.
38 For I am persuaded, that neither death, nor life, nor angels, nor principalities, nor powers, nor things present, nor things to come,
39 Nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, shall be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord. "







Guilty pleasure?

shopping, candy, blogs





Got any confessions?
I shop too much, eat too much candy, and read blogs too much.








If you had to spend $1000 on yourself, how would you spend it?

I am dreaming about some new things for my backyard... so probably there. Given the chance, I could spend $1000 lickety split. On any given day. That is sad, I know.





Favorite thing about your house?
I have a lot of affection for our home. I love the white woodwork--- paneling and trim that we had installed. I also love my red toile drapes in the kitchen. My house feels cozy to me.





Least favorite thing about your house?
Easy---my husband's office. To which the 3 people who have seen it can attest.













One thing you are bad at?

Laundry. I am really bad at laundry. I think people who are good at laundry deserve extra credit. It shows character strength, if you ask me! I am also bad at riding bikes. I have ruined several, including one of John's brother-in-law's, that apparently was worth "thousands".







One thing you are good at?

I think I am good at being a mother. I am happy about this, because it has taken hard work for me to get to this point. My parents simply made it look easy, and I had no idea what I was doing for the longest time. Plus, I have a rather hot temper, so I have had to master that.




If you could change one thing about your circumstances, what?
There are things I would like to change about myself, but really I don't think I would change anything about my circumstances. Needless to say, I do not feel complete without my James. I would give anything and everything I own to have him here with me (& to have my darling Dad here!)--- even for one moment, but I do not have that choice, and I have come to understand that maybe there is a reason he is now in Heaven. I have spoken with other mothers who have lost children, and have heard them also echo this sentiment. Maybe this understanding is one of the tender mercies given to parents who lose children?













Who would you like to meet someday?

This is a hard question... John's mother passed away when he was 21, so I am anxious to meet her. And of course reunite with the people I love so much who are also in heaven. I would love to meet the prophet of our church, President Thomas S. Monson. I had a chance recently, but passed it up because I was soooo embarrassed that I had just been laughing at an inappropriate time/place (& in an ugly "cackling" sort of way), and did not want to divulge my identity.


What makes you feel sexy?

My husband.


Who is your real life hero?

Libby's birth mother (& father too). I love her. I think of her often... I have read lots of "reasons" for the abandonment of children in China. I feel in my heart that she listened to the still small voice inside of her, and knew that Libby Mei needed to be taken to the gate of the Yiyang Children's Welfare Institute. I listened to the same voice, and went to China to bring her home. I have looked carefully at the photo of Libby at the police station in her finding ad. She is 6 days old, and her head is clearly misshapen. Maybe (I believe this), her mother saw her obvious medical condition, and knew that this was the only way she could give Libby a chance at overcoming the suffering that would surely come to her. If so, her mother was right. I have been told that the foremost physician in the world at treating Libby's condition, lives in our city. I think that this is yet another validation of her mother's decision. No one knows more than I do, what it is like to live this life without one's child. This is a deep connection I have with her. I empathize with so much of her pain. I know how her arms ache for her child. She gave me a gift that no one but her could give. The gift of a lifetime. She is my hero.






What is the hardest part of your job?

I do not ever get bored, but sometimes I feel tired. I am not young, and while being an older parent is energizing in some ways, it is hard to wait up for teenagers, & try to bring my "A-game" to parenting a toddler. I compensate by drinking TAB. (see above)









When are you most relaxed?
When I am out with my husband, on vacation, having dinner with Mom/sisters/girlfriends, running in the mornings with my "running buddy", Jerrilee.




What stresses you out?
Laundry. Whining. Stuff left on the island in the kitchen. My own procrastination.


What can you not live without?

My faith... and of course, the people I love. If this question is meant to be more superficial, then I would have to say Trish McEvoy makeup and a little product called "beauty booster" (See "How to Spend $1000 on Yourself in One Day" above)!



Do you agree with the recent article that blogs are authored by narcissists?
No. I think people have always chronicled their days, and have also always had "pen pals", which is how I see blogs. I feel privileged to learn new things from others, some of whom live very different lives than me. It is enlightening and inspiring. Although, my husband did recently say to the boys, "Your Mother has a new love, and it is not me"--- I "re-focused", shall we say, for a few weeks.

O.K., that's it. I am not going to "tag" anyone else, but if you do this, leave me a comment so that I can come over & read!

15 comments:

Susan said...

So funny!! I just tagged you! Then clicked on to tell you and see the Meme already done! lol!!! Oh well, someone beat me to it! :)

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the very honest post on Erin. I love that scripture in Romans. It reminds me of Corrie Ten Boom in "The Hiding Place" which, if you haven't read is a wonderful and life changing book. You are a person you describe in the people you like most outside your family.

The Kemps said...

I love this Erin! You're so honest. I love learning more about you (but I do have to say a lot of it didn't surprise me). I look up to you so much and appreciate the wonderful Aunt that you have been to me and the rest of the cousins. I know that I am a better mom from your example!

laurel said...

Wonderful! You are such a great woman Erin. I admire you.

Leslie said...

I feel like I know Erin a bit better now! I have to do this as well. We are very similar, I am the same with laundry, although I love having it all put away, I despise the mounds and do not like my appliances very much! Maybe a new set would make it better!
You are a doll!

Carrie said...

Erin, I loved this!!! I'm with you on the laundry thing!!! My biggest vice! You are the best...

Anna B. said...

This was so fun to read and so very honest. YOur description of your hero was just beautiful and aching to read!! And you know, I hate laundry too. It is never fully "accomplished" ...there is always more to do. I hate it.

Have a wonderful day!

Dawn said...

Erin,

I love your list..fun to learn more about you. I am with you on the laundry thing...so much so, that my HUSBAND does ALL the laundry at hour house!

Jboo said...

That was fun to read and so touching too! And I'm with you on the laundry too!

Janet

faun said...

I hope to be just like you and your siblings when I grow up! What joy you bring to me. Deepest love, Mom

3 Peanuts said...

Erin,
I loved your answers and I knew I would. I want to be your friend in "real life." You are such a beautiful person in all of the ways that matter!

Kim

3 Peanuts said...

P.S. I am GREAT at laundry (and stain removal in particular) but I never saw that as a talent until now..thanks!

Sister~Mom said...

Love blogs too.
Thanks for Sharing!

Lori said...

That was fun to read and I know if we lived closer by we'd be friends. :)
That is so funny about TAB~ I didn't know it was still around. lol
How amazing about living in the SAME city as the physician you needed to work with~ it was just meant to be.
I WAS CRACKING UP ABOUT THE THINGS ON YOUR ISLAND STRESSING YOU OUT!! That is so me and also the whining too~ UUGGHHHH!! LOL
I completely enjoy doing laundry and take pride in doing it well (heehee) but I hate doing dishes especially when the kitchen is a mess (the island thing)...that's the WORST!!

Anonymous said...

Erin - i am a TAB drinker too - is prob my biggest vice and i refuse to give it up - i am a four a day drinker - and i know absolutely No-one else that drinks it and it they have tasted it, they cant stand it! I feel like i have just had an "encounter" with my soul mate! haha I love your blog - found it thru the "Waiting for Sophie" blog - my bf adopted from China 2 years ago and in my heart i also long to do that, however i have diabetes and the Chinese Consolate wont even consider my husgand and I (boo hiss!) - so i live out my Adoption dreams thru blogs! Thank God for them! anyhow (got on a tangent) was surprised by our common demoninator! Cara :)