May 26, 2008

{MemORiAL DaY}



"Brethren, shall we not go on
in so great a cause?
Go forward and not backward.
Courage, brethren;
and on, on to the victory!..."
~D&C 128:22~


rugby

~James: Rugby 2006~
To our brave son: You were born with courage. It was a gift to you in this life. People wanted to be around you, I think, because you made them feel confident. Maybe they sensed that you were never afraid to stick up for them. When you were in the fourth grade, I went to see your sweet teacher Mrs. Moss, for a parent-teacher conference. She showed me to your desk, and it was moved to the front, paired with another, away from the rest of the class. At first I thought that you had raised some kind of ruckus, and had been forced to move your chair to an isolated spot. Then she told me that you were there on special assignment. Donald, a boy in your class with Down Syndrome, had taken a liking to you, and you to him. So she had encouraged you to be his special buddy. "Because", she told me, "If James is your friend... then everyone else is your friend too." In fact, she recommended to the other teachers that you two be kept together in 5th grade because Donald was just safer with you around.
After you died, we received a letter from a girl in one of your high school classes. She told of a day when, before class, a group of boys began bragging about all of the inappropriate things they had done with girls. You spoke up and said, "I would never talk that way about a girl". That was it... the talk ended. She said others had so much respect for you---that just your words could stop them.
It takes courage for us to visit your grave. To see a headstone there with your name on it. We have to be brave to face it. We think of your courage all the time. I wrote a letter to the search and rescue team, thanking them for risking their lives so that they could find you, and bring you back to us. I told them that you would have thought they were heroes. That given the chance, you would have done the same for them. In a heartbeat. I thought they should know that.
Your rugby coach told me, "I told James, You are too skinny to lead the charge! Don't be the first one off the line!" But you always were. And are still. I think of you in Heaven with your Grandpa Hansen. You two must be a force of nature. We love you. You are so much to miss. To live without. Our fearless son, brother, grandson, nephew, cousin, friend. Our hero. Love, Mom

23 comments:

laurel said...

So sweet. Sweet mom. Sweet son. I think you are brave. He must have received that quality from you.

Anna B. said...

Erin,

What to say??? How beautiful and how touching. Tears in my eyes. What a fine son you raised. I agree with Laurel. His bravery certainly must have been inherited.

With love,
Anna

Lisa and Tate said...

So touching.... What an amazing son James is... here while on eath or with his Heavenly Father.

Lisa

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful tribute to a wonderful and much loved son. Some day the reunion will be so sweet.

Carrie said...

My heart breaks and rejoices at every word you wrote! What a wonderful tribute to James and sweet words and memories given from you directly to him. I know he hears you and listens! You are an incredible example of courage you are to me, just as James was to so many!

Ronda said...

Your words are so lovely...a beautiful tribute to your hero.

alison said...

such a touching and sweet letter. you are an amazing and brave woman. . . thanks for sharing this with us.

Kim said...

What a beautiful tribute to James.

James was blessed with a special kind of gift, for a child to stand up for other's especially in a time of need. Most kids would follow with the other group.

You taught him well. A son to be truely proud of.

Dawn said...

Erin,

What a sweet and touching letter to your son. I have tears streaming down my face as I think of the courage it takes to face everyday without him. Since losing my only brother 5 years ago, and watching my mom bear the loss of a child...I have unending compassion and respect for anyone who ever has or will walk that path.

Your James was obviously a gift not only to you and your family, but to all who knew him...how proud you must be.

Love,
Dawn

Kim said...

What a sweet tribute...and what an amazing young man he was! Those qualities are very rare in young men today. I appreciate so much families who are raising sons to be just like James! Thank you for doing that!

I know it must be hard, I can't imagine the pain. Praying for you today.

Circe said...

Tears of sorrow, waves of joy...Thank you for sharing that wonderful tribute with us, so that we could all feel James' spirit. A parent should never have to be as brave as you have been, but you have the wisdom and strength to do it for James and your other kids. I truly admire you. Scott and I have shed many tears for you since that dark day. You are always in our hearts.

Stacie said...

i am so glad to have found your blog. Your story is so heartbreaking, so inspiring- your writing so eloquent- this letter had me in tears - thank you for reminding us to live our lives and cherish our children each day!

stacie

Jboo said...

What a wonderful son he must have been -- such a touching letter and sweet memories. I'm so sorry for your loss.

Janet

Melanie said...

Words cannot express the emotions I felt when reading your letter. What a wonderful young man you were blessed with...what a beautiful mother he has.
You are in my prayers.

Keri said...

What a beautiful young man. Still so sorry for your loss. I first followed you on My Adoption Website and I wept when you lost your son and I recently found your blog and I am still so sorry. I had never forgotten your story or your courage. He is so loved. How many children in this life, in this world, can truly know that?

Keri

Shari U said...

How blessed you are to be the mother of such a fine young man. The stories you've shared about James; about his life and about your loss are heart wrenching and touching. May God continue to heal your heart and bless you with your memories of him.

jennifer said...

What a sweet, wonderful post. What a blessing that letter was - after all this time, she remembered the boy who stood up for what was right. What a blessing to have him as a son.

Kate said...

I have tears rolling down my face. What a wonderful boy/young man he was. My heart aches for you.

Hugs

k8

Heather said...

I feel like I know a little bit about your son and what a fine person he was from reading you words.

3 Peanuts said...

Erin,

I am so inspired by your tenderness and your faith. I recently have been imagining what it must be like to lose a child (the Chapman tragedy upset me so much). I truly cannot imagine the constant ache and longing in your heart. Yet, you write about it with such tenderness and love and courage. Yes, I am sure that James learned how to be brave from watching his parents.

Love,
Kim

Sheri said...

I can hardly type because of the tears in my eyes. What an amazing tribute to an incredible son. What a blessing and inspiration James was to so many. Keeping you in my prayers...

The Kemps said...

Oh Erin, I think of James so much! I can't thank you and John enough for giving me the oppourtunity of staying with your boys why you were in China. I became closer to each of them and got to know them better individually, especially James. He stayed home after his Rugby accident and was so diligent in getting homework done, not just sitting around watching TV. I will never forget that he came to a kids movie with Jackson, Marshall and I, he saw some friends there and talked to them for a while but had no problem still coming to be with us (that says a lot about a teenage boy). I love your family and I love James, I'm blessed and a better person for knowing him. My kids sent off balloons on Sunday for James and Grandpa in heaven.

Lori said...

Erin, these words are so touching. His bravery is admirable and you must find joy as you think of how he impacted and influenced others for the good. What a strong and kind young man you raised.