March 12, 2008

{DreaMs}

"Throw your DREAMS into space
like a KITE, and you do not know
what it will bring back,
a new LIFE
a new FRIEND,
a new LOVE,
a new COUNTRY."
~ Anais Nin
In August, 2004, John & I were discussing the idea of adoption. I felt utterly compelled to bring a daughter into our family from China. I could think of virtually nothing else, and knew that our Father in Heaven had a plan for our family. That a baby was meant to be ours, and she was to be born in China. I had a dream one night... I was standing on a windswept hilltop near the Great Wall of China. People were everywhere, as far as I could see. I stood there in the midst of throngs of people, and looked about expectantly. After only a moment, I heard girls' laughter, and up the hill came three girls, about 14 years old. I recognized the girl in the middle as our daughter. I was overjoyed! I was so happy to see her! So happy. The girls bounded up to me, and I looked at my beautiful daughter. She was slight and impish looking. Her hair was cut very short (Audrey Hepburn style!) Her shining eyes were black and large. Her ears were little and tilted forward a bit. Her smile was luminous. She exuded so much life and was filled with so much joy! I loved her so much, and knew that we had to find one another. I knew that we would find each other. And... we did! Libby was born about 7 months later. I remembered this dream so many times in the years to follow. I wondered why I had dreamt about a young girl, rather than a baby. After James died, and as we prepared ourselves for Libby's surgery, I knew for sure that the reason was so that I would be able to look forward, to know that her surgery would have a happy ending. And so it did! I want Libby to know that she was made for our family, that her Mother in China was always meant to carry her...and that Heaven helped us find one another. Across so many miles. Against such seemingly insurmountable odds. An undeniable miracle.

And so, on December 15, 2007, our faith led us to the Temple, to be sealed together for all eternity. We missed James so much, but knew that surely he was there with us. Our family and our friends, so many who had seen us through our darkest days, came to celebrate the joy and hope of this day. My dream had come true. Our Libby Mei had found her way--- guided by angels, to her rightful home. And eventually, all of us will find our way-- also guided by angels, back to our rightful home, with each other. My Dad will be there. John's Mother. And our beautiful boy, James.



IMG_2059

IMG_2060

IMG_2063

11 comments:

Sister~Mom said...

Thanks for such a beautiful & special experience & message with us you have a beautiful family!

Jboo said...

What a beautiful post and lovely family!

Janet

Anna B. said...

You wrote this so beautifully! So glad to read it and be a part of it....if only from here

laurel said...

Beautiful. Isn't it amazing how the Lord helps us complete our family? We had Maylin sealed to us in the same temple. My kids go to school across the street, so we thought it would be good for them to see it everyday. It was such a great experience. It is such a testimony, to know how the Lord helps direct our lives. Your dream will mean mounds to Libby when she is older. What a wonderful gift, the Lord gave to you when he sent that dream.

Kate said...

They will be waiting with open arms. What a glorious day that will be...

Jodee said...

What a sweet post! I am so glad your dream came true! Libby is adorable!

Leslie said...

What a beautiful way to honor the way God placed Libby in your heart. Our adoption of Myah started with a dream of mine as well.
What a beautiful Temple you have! Love the mountains in the background. So majestic!

Carrie said...

Ok, now I am crying like a baby! You are such a great writer and can express yourself so well. I have been so blessed to watch your story unfold! Thank you for guiding and leading the way to SO MANY miracles in SO MANY lives!

Sheri said...

This is an amazing story! It's incredible how our dreams help us make decisions and give us comfort. Libby will love hearing about this when she's older. Beautiful pictures of your family!

alison said...

A most precious memory, and so beautifully written.
What a blessing to have Libby and she to have you.

I love these pictures of your family. What a special day.

Susan said...

That was beautiful! I remember you telling me about the dream, but now that I read the detail I really see that it describes Libby Mei. Those big eyes and short hair and her tilted ears, oh so cute!