January 28, 2009

{RandoM ThINGs}

Thanks for all of the questions! It is fun to read what people wonder about me. Kind of funny too. I really,really love having a blog. Sometimes I feel pressured to "catch up", but then I remind myself that it is a scrapbook/work in progress, and I relax and think about what I most want to remember about this time in our life as a family. The good or the bad. The element of having a blog that is much better than a scrapbook, is that real people who I may or may not know in real life read it, and leave their thoughts for me as a gift. It has been so cathartic and so fun to meet other people--- "pen pals"--- through my blog. It is a phenomenon. If I think of when I was a child, and the internet didn't even exist, it amazes me that I can post pictures and videos and thoughts for strangers to read, and we then become friends. They get to know me. It is a bit one sided, as I only portray what I choose, but still. And my friends and family can see my life each day. I love reading other people's journals and listening to their hopes, dreams, frustrations. It reminds me of how much people everywhere are alike. So thank you to all who share their lives with me in this way. Here are my answers to your questions (Most of them--- I'll finish tommorrow):

From Jacquie:
Question..... hmmmm...... let's see.... Libby always looks darling. Where do you get most of her clothes?
Well Jacquie, that is a timely question. The answer right now, is "I am on a moratorium, and will not by buying girl's clothing for a looong time" (repeated 3 times) But if I were buying clothes for my darling daughter, I would shop at (These are just the more unusual places---besides the common ones that everyone knows about ---Target, Nordstrom, Baby Gap, Children's Place, etc):
Janie & Jack, Chasing Fireflies, Eden's Bouquet (a source I just found but haven't bought from yet--- these are beautiful, and can almost be worn during any season), Lori (who will soon be making & selling clothing), Matilda Jane (though it is a bit of a hassle to buy these), and a very she-she boutique by our home that sells mostly European clothing (I buy one or two pieces there a year). I buy clothes (especially dresses) really big and Libby usually can wear them for two years.

Deb asked ...
Okay, here goes.....At what moment did you know that John was the one, the true love, the cat's meow, the forever family maker?

Well Deb, I am surprised you haven't heard this story before... (John---for obvious reasons---loves when I tell it!) John and I grew up very near each other, and went to the same elementary school for a few years, and then the same High School. My Mother was crazy about him, and so was I. He was (& still is) very hunky and all of my friends & I vied for his attention. Alas, I got none of it. (When people ask us if we were High School sweethearts, I always say that he was mine, but I wasn't his. He doesn't think this is funny) Then came college, and he finally got his head screwed on priorities straight, and noticed me. I was talking to a mutual friend in the library at the U, and he simply walked up and began talking to us. And that, Deb, was the moment that I was truly snookered. The rest is history, and lot's of it. (As far as him being the "forever family maker", well I didn't know that until some time later, after we got married ;).

~Exhibit A: John in College~
(taken & developed by me!)
Dad B&W[1]

Eloise said...
Here's my question: Did you grow up near where you live now and how many brothers and sisters did you have?
Yes I did, Eloise. My dad went to dental school in Oregon. I was born there. After a year or so, our family moved to Missouri so he could pay back his army time. Then we moved to Utah, where I lived until John & I got married. Five days after that, we moved to New Orleans, to begin Medical School (at Tulane). Then to California for internship (Irvine), residency (UCLA), and fellowship (Huntington Beach). We loved HB, and stayed there a few years after he finished. Then we moved here. We love it. My older sister, Ruthanne (husband Scott/5 kids), lives 45 minutes away, my brother Kent (wife Heather/5 kids) lives 1 mile away, and my sister Lyssa (husband Rees/4 kids) lives 1 mile away too. My Mom, and her husband Grandpa Bob, live just 15 minutes away. All of us have moved around the country for various reasons, but have returned. My family is very close, and we see/talk to each other almost daily. John's Dad and his wife Grandma Carolyn live 4 1/2 hours away, but have a condo here, so we see them quite a bit. The rest of his family lives in other states. We travel with them at least once a year, and they visit too. Our children love them all (we do too)! This question gives me an idea: I think I will do a post on each family member this year! All of them. I hope you'll stop by sometime when you visit your family in Jackson Hole. Or--- maybe I'll head up there and visit you. I do not like bears, but I do like steak!
Kate (the lucky winner!), asked:
I know you used to teach. And I know you pretty much love being a stay at home mom. But, hypothetically, IF you could re-enter the workforce and choose any job/position/career you wanted...what would it be???
Hmmm, The answer to this question might make me look like a jerk. Honestly, I did not like teaching. I thought it was much harder than parenting. I felt like the life got drained out of me each day. The problems that the children brought from home overwhelmed and depressed me. I felt underqualified and very helpless. I did love the children. That part was easy. But I was young and hadn't had my own children yet (JW was born 18 months before I quit), and I didn't realize that you can feel annoyed with children, and still love them, and have their best interests at heart. So I sometimes suffered from guilt. I think that good teachers are heroes. In the real, lasting sense. Not in the rock star/actress/ pro basketball player sense.
My dream career... I think it would be fun to be a designer. Or a musician. Or a humanitarian worker... flying to exotic places where people need help. I would love to be a photographer. I think a career in something creative. None of the above is an option, as I don't have the talent. But I am happy staying at home. I know people say it is the hardest job in the world. But I don't feel that way. I think there are jobs that are so hard. So stressful and so grueling. I hope I could do them if I had to. I am not so sure...
*Also, to find Jars/Topiaries click on "my favorite things" and scroll down. Remember when I deleted all of my posts? The pictures are gone, but the links still work I think. If not, e-mail me.

From Janet: how do you manage meals (evening) with your boys and their work/school/ athletic schedules?? And what's your favorite easiest meal? Can you tell I'm having a difficult time with meal planning??
Good question! We don't all eat together much during the week, as the two older boys have late schedules, and John often gets home late as well. I try took cook almost every day, but sometimes I just run out of ideas. J.W. & Marshall take their lunches each day. My boys are lean, but they eat SO MUCH! We go through about 2 gallons of milk a day. A loaf of bread. At least 1 box of cereal. Loads of bananas and apples. Some things I make often: Parmesan Chicken (coated with bread crumbs), pasta, soups of all kinds. Here are my favorite cookbooks :
This one & This one are really basic, which is how we eat. Lot's of great salad recipes, and yummy family suppers. They are great for young children too, as they don't have too many complex tastes. This one can only be purchased by calling the phone number given on the site. It was written to benefit Make-A-Wish. All of my friends and family use and love it! These are also tried and true by me & all the women I know. I can recommend these without any hesitation, as family cookbooks that will give you food for generations of happy eaters. My children (well, the boys---Libby is coming along) eat almost everything, and are very adventurous eaters. They just love food! Here is a recipe we love (Needless to say, we are not vegetarians):

Beef Buns (from "Essential Mormon Celebrations")
One 6-or-7 lb. Beef Chuck Roast (Boneless from Costco)
2 tablespoons olive oil or butter
1 (1 ounce) package dry onion soup mix
1 cup water
1 (10.5 ounce) can beef consomme'
12 large buns
Heat olive oil or butter in a large roasting pan. Brown roast well on all sides; sprinkle with onion soup mix. Pour water and consomme' over roast. Cover with lid. Bake at 325 degrees for about 4 hours or until meat is tender. Remove from oven. When cooled, place meat on cutting board, reserving drippings in pan. Slice/shred meat and return to pan. Reheat and simmer, uncovered, for about 30 minutes. Fill buns. Serves 12, plus leftovers.
Let me know if you try/like it!

Kim, who I am kind of related to (right Kim?) asked, "Do you know of anyone locally who sells Matilda Jane clothing?" Well, I DID, but I lost her e-mail. Sorry! But check the link to the website above. You can find a local seller from them.

Kelly posed this question:I have been stalking your blog for about a year now. I've smiled many times here and cried many times here. I hope you don't mind. My question for you is how do you stay looking so young with a child in his 20's? It's sickening to the rest of us oldies! haha Kelly, you almost won just for asking this question (but I knew I couldn't sleep at night if I cheated on a blog giveaway!) And of course I don't mind if you visit my blog! This question is especially flattering, since I have just returned from the eye doctor, who prescribed bifocals, AND told me that my biggest problem is that I have "dry corneas". Good times. (I peeked at your blog, and your baby's behind in those bloomers: a show stopper!)

O.K.--- I'll finish tommorrow. Thank you for your questions & comments. As always, they make me smile.

8 comments:

The Golf Widow said...

wow. First off I'm still laughing at the high school sweethearts bit. TOO FUNNY!!!
I hope Lori starts selling SOON!

Eloise said...

Oh, I just loved reading your answers! It's also fun to see the questions people asked.

I can relate on the need for bifocals. I think of you every time I pull out my Eye Bobs to read (which is sadly getting to be more and more often - I can see the day quickly approaching when I won't be able to see my cell phone keys without glasses - yikes!). I ordered the pair that you featured on your blog at the same time you had the Billy Kirk bag. By the way, I haven't used my bag yet, but I sure like it!

Carrie said...

Ok, That was so much fun for me! Smashing picture of John and loved reading just a few little inner secrets of yours too! Some day I want to be just like you, in control, time for fun hobbies and house clean and beautiful (I have been trying to find my house after the holidays and still blogging about Christmas!) Boo Hoo

Jboo said...

Oh my -- your hub was (and still is) quite a handsome guy! It was so fun to read your answers. Thanks for the cooking tips. I will definitely try that recipe and check out those cookbooks!

Janet

3 Peanuts said...

I LOVED you answers. I felt like we were chatting over coffee AND I am not supposed to be reading blogs now but I had to come read...

LOVE your story on how you came to know John. I was going to ask your beauty/youth secrets too. you look SO SO young. But I had seen someone asked that already. Do tell us.

I did laugh though because I cannot read the back of some of my vitamin jars. I think I need bi-focals but I REFUSE to believe that I am THAT old!!! LOL!

laurel said...

Loved the questions!!! I really LOVED the answers! Wow, I too love the blog world. Even though I have met you in person, I still learn so many great things from your blog. And I have bought from Matilda Jane and have the local reps email. I will send it to you and you can pass it on!

The Kemps said...

Oh Erin, I LOVED this. It's so fun to hear your answers to these questions and get to know you a little bit better. I'll always look up to you for your love for life, bubbly personality, and fun humor! I can't wait to hear the rest...

Jacquie said...

Thanks so much for answering our questions. It was so much fun to read. You should do this more often!