May 12, 2008




IMG_3708



We had a very special Mother's Day! Almost every family member on my side came over after church for dinner. The children generally ran wild and the adults laughed, ate, and shared the latest. In fact, a certain brother-in-law, who has never, ever said anything inappropriate in all the many years I have known him, surprised us all with a "questionable anecdote" right after our son's girlfriend stopped in to meet my extended family for the first time. I don't think he'll be doing that again any time soon! ;)

IMG_3760



This was the closest we could come to a group photo... a few were on the lawn snapping photos. We had to rouse two of my teenage nephews from deep slumber on the couches, since they woke up "early" to make the day special for their mothers. Because well, what could be more exhausting to a teenage boy, than Mother's Day? ;)


IMG_3681


The front door...



IMG_3679



...with a favorite quote.




IMG_3689




We all cooked, (except Grammy, who was forbidden to bring food, but still brought homemade cookies) and had Ritz Chicken with Poppy Seeds (a family favorite!), Lemon Rice, Rolls, Salads, and a Fruit Platter.



IMG_3699





IMG_3707









For dessert, Grammy's cookies, and a white chocolate bundt cake from here!





IMG_3690






IMG_3701








I found this picture of my mother for the cover of a CD (of my favorite songs) that the boys helped me burn for all of the women. I love the quote on the tag: "The only thing that separates us from the animals is our ability to accessorize." ~Clairee Belcher, Steel Magnolias .







IMG_3685













IMG_3714


It was our second Mother's Day with our precious Libby Mei, and our second Mother's Day without our beloved James. I missed him (ached for him), as I do each day... but I did feel very close to him, and had some very special memories of him flood over me. My family is such a gift to me... my husband is loving and protective, and our children... I love them so much. They are my reason for living. My fondest hopes and dreams are invested in them. They love me too, and who could ask for anything more than that? A family who loves you!

18 comments:

Kim said...

With tears and a tug at my heart - you are an amazing woman and mom. Glad to hear you had a nice day with your family. The photos are beautiful.

Anna B. said...

Erin, this was so beautiful. And look at you with your sweet Libby in your fabulous skirt!! I love how much you love you family. You gotta laugh at those awkward questionable moments and then tease him for years to come.:-)

alison said...

i love how you captured this special day in pictures and in words. happy mothers day to you.

Lori said...

Erin, your Mother's Day was just wonderful~ I'm so glad you had some very special and sweet moments with those that you love. Your wreath and topiaries are just beautiful!!
Sending hugs your way this Mother's Day!! :)
LOVE the "accessorize" quote!! :D

Kim said...

I am so glad I found your blog...I remember reading about your family on *my adoption website* where we also have a site. I have often thought about you and wondering how you were doing. Even though we don't know eachother...I have prayed for you and was sad by the tragedy that your lovely family experienced.

What a lovely blog and stories...I will be back...Thank you for sharing what is on your heart.

Happy Late Mothers Day.

Circe said...

Beautiful! I'm admiring all your decor and food...and crying over the last part about James. You are in my prayers.

Anonymous said...

Erin, I hadn't checked your blog in awhile! It's hard to believe that we left for China two years ago Thursday and now the girls are three!!! Libby is darling. Circe, Scott and the kids dropped in on us a few weeks ago (or has it been months now?). I guess it's our turn to travel your way again!
=) Courtney Atnip

jennifer said...

What a sweet post. I love everything: the wreath, the cd's with the quote. What a perfect gift. I'm so glad you had a great Mothers Day.

Sheri said...

Belated Happy Mother's Day! Looks like it was a very special day for you and your extended family. I can tell that you have a way of making everyone feel special when they are in your home.

Know that my prayers are with you also as it was obviously a difficult and bittersweet day as well. You have taught me to cherish every moment I have with my children. Thanks for always being so open and honest with your feelings.

Anonymous said...

A beautiful Mother's Day tribute! It was beautiful. Our families make life meaningful and sweet:)
I would like to think that James was there also, wishing you a very happy Mother's Day.

Susan said...

That was amazing! You have the best family, and so many! It looks like you had a beautiful day. BTW you need to check out what has transpired today on my blog, it was freaky! I may have to go to invite only.

Plumptom said...

Okay Looks like you had a suburb mother's day! I love nothing Bundt cakes....yum! I am glad you had a great day. I am sure Mother's Day will always be tender for you. Sending my love.
From Laurel

Eliza2006 said...

So glad you had a nice mother's day. I was about to be REALLY impressed...I though you made that cake! Was it good? I could use a piece right now!

Tiffany

Erin said...

Hey Courtney! I am so happy to hear from you! Do you have a blog? Yes... you and Tim & your cute kids DO need to come for a visit! We ought to have a reunion!

3 Peanuts said...

Looks like such a beautiful day filled with love and family.

Kim

Carrie said...

what a beautiful day! I am always amazed at your poise and beauty! I can hardly keep it together and you are so lovely!

The Kemps said...

The day was perfect! The food was amazing! And being together was unforgettable! We had so much fun coming to dinner at your beautiful home and it's always fun and exciting when we all get together! Thanks for having us!

Susan said...

Oh Erin, I simply can't imagine what you must feel on a daily basis missing James. Your strength and faith are such an inspiration and I know YOU know there is nothing more that James would rather see than you to be happy and share in these wonderful special family times. A belated Happy and Blessed Mothers Day to you.